A very tasty vegetarian dish that brings back so many childhood memories and a lot of comfort is being made in my kitchen! It’s the much loved and well known Egyptian Koshary; one of the most popular Egyptian street foods that consists of rice, lentils, pasta, chick peas, topped with a spicy garlic tomato dressing (salsa) and crispy fried onion 🇪🇬❤️
My Mom, God bless her soul, loved this dish and always told me that I make it best. If you’ve never had or made Koshary before and would like to try it, here’s the process of making it from A to Z. 🌻❤️
Koshary Recipe is here‼️🌟🚨
🧅 First step, make the crispy fried onion; you’ll need:
• 2 large onions, cut in half then thinly sliced
• A pinch of salt
• 1 tablespoon flour
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• Vegetable oil for frying – we will use the onion infused oil to make all the different components of the Koshary (the tomato sauce, the rice and the pasta)
🍅 Then make the Tomato Sauce:
• 3 tablespoon of the onion infused oil
• 4 finely minced garlic cloves
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 2 tablespoons vinegar
• 2 cups tomato sauce
• ¾ cup water
• Salt and Pepper to taste
• Crushed red pepper flakes, if you like it spicy
🍛 Then prepare the Koshary Mixture:
• 1.5 cup brown lentils, semi boiled with 1 teaspoon cumin and 2 whole garlic cloves
• 1 cup rice – I used Jasmine rice
• ½ cup vermicelli
• 4 tablespoons of the onion infused oil
• Hot water
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• Salt and Pepper to taste
🍝 Lastly, make the Pasta:
• 2 cups of any pastas you have on hand; I used medium size elbow pasta and spaghetti
• Enough water to boil the pasta
• Salt to taste
• 4 tablespoons of the onion infused oil, 2 of which are added to the pasta boiling water and the other 2 is top toss the pasta with after it’s been cooked so it doesn’t stick together.
Check out my videos on Instagram for the step by step process.👩🏻🍳👌🏻
A lovely evening to you all❤️
The fried onions, tomato sauce and the lentils preparation 3️⃣..2️⃣..1️⃣.. Let’s Go!! 👩🏻🍳👌🏻
🧅 To make the crispy fried onion 🧅
• In a bowl, mix flour, cornstarch and salt and toss in the onion slices until they’re evenly coated.
• In a deep pan, heat some vegetable oil and deep fry the onion slices in 3 batches. If you fry them all at one, they will stick to each other and we do not want that to happen.
• Once all the onion slices are fried, spread them in one layer on a paper towel lined tray to get rid of all the excess oil, then immediately transfer them to a bowl, so they stay crispy and don’t get mushy.
• Reserve the onion frying oil, as we’ll use some of it to make the sauce and rice.
🍅 For the tomato sauce 🍅
• In a saucepan, add 3 tablespoons of the onion frying oil. Once the oil is hot, add 4 finely minced garlic cloves and one tablespoon tomato paste. Mix and cook together for just a minute, until fragrant.
• Add the spices all at once: 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon sugar, salt and pepper to taste, cayenne pepper and/or red pepper flakes if you like your sauce a little spicy.
• De-glaze the pan with 2 tablespoons vinegar. Add 2 cups tomato sauce, ¾ cup water, mix and bring the sauce to a boil.
• Lower heat, cover the pan and simmer sauce to 10 minutes, until it thickens.
🍛 To prepare the lentils 🍛
• In a saucepan, add 1 ½ cup brown lentils, 2 whole garlic cloves, ½ teaspoon cumin and cover with water.
• Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes, until lentils are semi- cooked.
• Drain all the water and set the semi cooked lentils aside, to add later to the rice and vermicelli.
🍛 To make the Koshary rice mixture, follow these steps in order:
• In a medium pot, heat 4 tablespoons of the onion frying oil
• Add ½ cup Vermicelli and sauté until golden in color
• Add rice and toss it with the vermicelli until it’s evenly coated with oil
• Add the semi-cooked lentils and give everything a good stir together
• Season with 1 teaspoon cumin and salt to taste
• Add hot water – the hot water level should be one inch above the rice
• Bring to a boil and when the rice starts to absorb the water, cover the pot, lower heat and cook for about 15-20 minutes, until rice and lentils are fully cooked.
🍝 Cook pasta according to package instructions. Add a little salt and some of the onion frying oil to the pasta boiling water. Once pasta is cooked and all the water drained, toss it with a little more oil, so it does not stick together.
🥣 Lastly, assemble your Koshary bowl. First layer is rice, then the pasta, then some sauce, and finish it up with the deliciousness crispy fried onion.
Bon Appétit ❤️
MADE WITH LOVE!