This delicious moussaka is made with love and dedicated to all eggplant lovers 🍆❤️!
You will need:
Four (4) small Italian eggplants, one large onion, 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 pounds ground beef, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, 4 cloves garlic (minced), 1 tablespoon sumac, 3 cups tomato puree, 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar, 1/2 cup golden raisins. 1 dozen cherry tomatoes, salt/pepper to taste.
Prepare the eggplant:
– Peel and cut eggplants into half inch slices.
– Arrange in single layer on a tray lined with paper towels.
– Sprinkle one side of the eggplant slices with salt and set aside for half an hour until it released its moisture. Pat dry with paper towels. Flipped to other side, and repeat the process.
– Fry until golden brown.
– Transfer to a colander and pour boiling water all over. This step is KEY in getting rid of any excess oil that the eggplant absorbs during the frying process.
– Put the colander on a plate lined with paper towels and set aside until it dried completely.
Prepare the sauce:
– Sauté chopped onion in butter and olive oil until fragrant.
– Add ground beef and cook with the onion until browned.
– Add tomato paste, garlic, sumac, tomato purée and sugar. Add salt/pepper to taste.
– Give a good mix, cover and lower heat to medium-low.
– Let the sauce simmer for 20 minutes.
– Add raisins and set aside.
Assemble your moussaka:
– Using a large casserole pan, start with layer of meat sauce, then eggplant, followed by another layer of sauce, and then eggplant.
– Spoon sauce on top of each slice of eggplant and add a cherry tomato for color.
– Cover tray and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
Join me at Ruby’s Kitchen on Instagram: