- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus 1 tablespoon for buttering skillet
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup of your favorite M&M’s
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Using a pastry brush, coat a 12″ cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon of butter. Set aside.
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream remaining 1/2 cup butter with the brown sugar. Mix on medium speed for 5-7 minutes, until light and fluffy. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl periodically.
Add the egg and vanilla and mix for another minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl thoroughly.
Add the dry ingredients mixture to the butter mixture and mix on low until the flour is just incorporated.
Stir in 1 cup of M&M’s by hand, reserving 1/4 cup.
Transfer the cookie dough into the prepared cast iron skillet and gently press the dough evenly into the pan.
Place the skillet in the oven and bake until cookie is golden brown and edges are set, about 20 minutes, rotating skillet halfway through baking.
Allow it to cool for about 5 minutes, then carefully press the remaining M&Ms into the top of the baked cookie. This helps prevent them from cracking and keeps the color more vibrant.
Allow to cool 20-30 minutes before slicing it.