- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground Mahlab (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup milk (lukewarm)
- 1 cup melted butter
- 4 eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 packets active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins – I used orange flavored cranberries
- For the egg wash: 1 egg yolk, I tablespoon milk, 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee (optional)
- For the topping: 2-4 tablespoons sprinkles and/or coarse sugar, if desired
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in water and cover until yeast gets activated and rises, about 10 minutes.
- For the Brioche dough: In the bowl of a stand up mixer, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, orange zest, Mahlab and sugar. Add the milk, melted butter, eggs, vanilla and yeast. With the dough hook attachment, knead on medium speed for 8 minutes. Add the dried cranberries or raisins and knead for another 2 minutes. Cover the bowl with plastic and let it rise for 1 hour.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface, divide the dough and shape it as you desire.
- Place the Brioche on parchment paper lined cookie sheets, let rise in a warm draft free area for half an hour.
- In a small bowl beat together the egg yolk, instant coffee and milk. Gently brush the Brioche with this egg wash. Sprinkle with sprinkles, coarse sugar or both.
- Bake on 350 F for about 20-30 minutes, until dark golden in color.
Enjoy plain or with
your favorite jam and a cup of coffee or tea!