- 7 medium- large tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- A handful of basil leaves, diced
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh thyme, oregano or both
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Slice tomatoes and onion into wedges, then transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and gently toss until all pieces are well coated.
- Transfer the ingredients to a roasting pan and roast, uncovered for 45 minutes, in a preheated 425 F oven, until bubbling, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to a soup pot and add the stock. Bring it to a boil, then take it off the heat and allow it to cool slightly.
- Purée the soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Add the cream and heat over low flame until gently simmering, then serve immediately.