To make this exceptionally delicious dessert you’ll need the following ingredients:
– One package Phyllo Pastry sheets (500 g)
– 2 sticks butter (230 g / 16 tablespoons)
– For the filling: 3 cups finely diced walnuts, 3 teaspoons sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
– For the syrup: 2 cups sugar, 3 cups water, 1 cinnamon stick, juice of 1/2 lemon.
- First make the syrup – Combine water, sugar and cinnamon stick in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a hard boil, then add the lemon juice and lower the heat to medium. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, or until the syrup has just started to thicken. Remove from heat, take the cinnamon stick out and let the syrup completely cool off. The syrup can be made a few days ahead and stored in a sealed container or a jar in the fridge.
- Brush the bottom of a half sheet pan (18 x 13 inches) with butter. Take the first layer of Phyllo and set it in place. Working quickly, brush the entire piece of phyllo with butter. Repeat this process until you’ve used half the amount of the sheets in the package.
- Pour the walnut sugar cinnamon filling mixture and using your hand, spread it into an even layer going all the way to the edges of the pan.
- Place a layer of Phyllo over the filling and butter it. Repeat this process until you finish the last layer.
- Warm the leftover butter, drizzle it over the top layer and spread it to the edges using a pastry brush or your hands.
- Using a sharp bread knife or a pastry cutter, gently cut the Baklava into even squares or diamond shapes.
- Bake the Baklava on 350F for 40 – 45 minutes or until the Baklava is flaky and light golden in color.
- Drizzle the cool syrup on the Baklava as soon as it is out of the oven and let is set for at least one hour before cutting it.
Serve & Enjoy! 👩🏻🍳👌🏻