- 1 1/2 pound beef cubes
- 1 large onion, cut in 8 pieces
- 2 scallions
- 2 tablespoons peeled thinly sliced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 whole red chili pepper (optional)
- 2 cans (400 ml each) coconut milk – for a lighter gravy use 1 can coconut milk & 1 can coconut water
- 2 lemon grass stalks, 2 inches each – can be substituted with 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (or 2 bay leaves)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- juice of two lemons
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 325 F
Heat the coconut oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the beef, cook for 5 minutes, browning the beef on all sides. Add onion, garlic, ginger, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, red chili pepper, scallions and sauté for 5 minutes.
In a bowl, combine sugar, fish sauce, lime juice and add to the beef. Cook for 5 minutes. Add coconut milk, salt and pepper to taste and combine with the beef and all the aromatics. Bring to a gentle boil, then cover and bake for 2 hours or until the beef is fork tender.
Serve over white rice and steamed veggies and garnish with toasted coconut flakes.