- 1 pound lamb (or beef) meat, small diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 can diced tomatoes (29 ounce)
- 3/4 cup barley
- 7 cups water
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 lime or lemon, juiced
Put the butter, lamb, turmeric, black pepper, cinnamon, ginger, cayenne, butter, celery, onion, and cilantro into a large soup pot over a medium heat. Stir frequently for 5 minutes. Pour diced tomatoes (plus the juice) into the mixture and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
Add 7 cups water and barley into the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer. Let soup simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
Right before serving, add salt to taste and stir in lemon juice and beaten eggs, let eggs cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Garnish the top with fresh parsley or cilantro and serve.