- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup cut-up celery, stalks and leaves
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- Zest of 1 orange (optional but highly recommended)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 2 cups beef broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven or cast iron pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Season the ribs with salt and pepper and add them to the pan. Arrange them in one layer and cook them without moving for about 4 minutes, until well browned on first side. Flip the short ribs, sprinkle them with flour and add onions and garlic. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the short ribs are browned on the second side and onions and garlic are softened. Add the celery, carrots and orange zest, stir and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil. Add the beef broth, return to a boil, cover and transfer to a 325 F preheated oven, to cook until meat is fork tender and sauce has thickened, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, flipping the meat once during cooking and adding more broth if needed.
- Serve with white rice, mashed potatoes or steamed veggies.